FalloutDS (Working Title)

Show us what you're making.

FalloutDS (Working Title)

Postby Foxi4 » April 1st, 2011, 2:42 am

I'm currently working on a Fallout-themed game for the DS which uses resized and optimized graphics from the original Fallout 1 and 2.

It's currently in a TechDemo stage, so far walking around on the map, camera control and combat mode work just fine except one quirk in Running Mode where the camera goes ape, but that'll be dealt with soon (I know what's wrong, I just didn't fix it yet out of plain lazyness).

In any case, enjoy. Any creative criticizm is welcome.

Controls:

1. The D-Pad controls the PipBoy:

- Up opens the StatusBoy (shows the active weapon and active item (items not yet included), it will be re-worked soon
- Down opens the Inventory
- Right opens CombatBoy
- Left opens the MoveBoy.

2. Combat is controlled using the Stylus to aim and the L button to shoot. (Different animations depending on the stylus position and the Weapon Type)

3. Inventory is also controlled with the Stylus. Tapping on an item once selects it, tapping twice moves it to your hand.

4. MoveBoy is controlled by tapping the directional buttons using the stylus.

5. The Free View Camera is controlled using the ABXY buttons. You can set the camera wherever you want to to provide a field of view that you feel comfortable with.

...with the ammount of sprites present (28 64x64 frames, 74 32x64 frames, 2 32x32 frames) I think that the file size is "managable" and that the game can be greatly expanded.

Updates to the project will be attached periodically, currently the latest version is v.0.5 rev.2 available here: http://dsgamemaker.com/dsgmforum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1400&p=4663#p4786
Attachments
FalloutDS-TD Alpha v0.4.nds.nds
(827.56 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Last edited by Foxi4 on April 3rd, 2011, 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Current Projects:

FalloutDS: Postponed until proper libraries are created, 10%
Foxi_Lib: A completely revised version of NitroSprites[FINAL], NitroBackgrounds and NitroText[FINAL], 40%
Foxi4

Re: FalloutDS (Working Title)

Postby cilein » April 1st, 2011, 12:02 pm

Cool work so far,

- camera moves too fast when walking, you lose your character by moving faster than his walk speed. Reloaded and it worked fine second time, some option must increase cam speed
- the free view would be better if limited to keeping your character on screen at an edge (character.x + 256 - character.width etc)
- maybe if the free view returned to the character if 'let go' of for a sec (if the above wasn't implemented, or to jump back to your char
- for moveboy, rather than touching the arrow sprites to choose directions, just look for the region the stylus is in, it would be more intuitive (top right quadrant for up-right, left-middle quadrant for left etc) or if you wanted to get fancy calculate the direction to go relative to the point touched down at and the point dragged to, if you drag > 100 pixels run, if the gradient is positive, if the x increases or decreases etc. Have it so by holding the stylus and moving it you can direct the char as he moves
- moving the stylus while shooting doesn't change where you shoot currently (locked in initial shooting position
- the gun sprites look like the have ugly compression and lots of stray pixels, could be thats the exact old sprites but they could do with a cleanup
- the moveboy background and combat boy are a little hard to read, and dont blend well with the style of the other screens, darken them up some to blend them better, the bright green especially competes for attention with the arrows, which as controls should take priority

Looking great in any case and the engine seems well done (good job with the file size too), good luck with it, should be a good project to follow the progress of :D

[EDIT]: Some sort of error where going up and right for a while then you cant move up and left but can in any other direction, same for going up and right then trying up and left
cilein

Postby Foxi4 » April 1st, 2011, 1:00 pm

1. The camera moves too fast when in running mode (middle button of the moveboy) because I've put walking speed*running toggle instead of + running toggle, so yes, it goes ape, but I know why. I was too lazy to fix it X3 Also, as far as the free view goes, it will be limited to the size of the map as soon as a map is loaded. Right now it's just an unlimited wasteland :lol:. I don't want to keep the character in the Field of View at all times, because I already know that some weapons will have a higher Range than the DS screen. For example, if you use a Sniper Rifle. Scroll the screen up, CombatBoy, bang! :grin:

2. There are no arrow sprites. I'll enchance the area sizes though, as suggested.

3. Yeah, I have to fix that CombatMode bug. *Fix'd, will upload Alpha 0.5 when the rest of bugs are dealt with.

4. I had to compress the gun sprites to 16 colour, otherwise DSGMPali went ape about having too many colours. I'll try to re-touch them, this is just a tech demo. The finished product will look miles better ;)

5. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "bright green". I'm testing the game on an actual DS and the green doesn't seem to be too "in your face, green!"... Perhaps if you play it on an emulator, it appears to be lighter?

6. Yeah, I noticed the error. It's because the button controller doesn't re-initialize after turning MoveBoy for the second time. Fixed already :)
Current Projects:

Foxi_Lib: A completely revised version of NitroSprites[FINAL], NitroBackgrounds and NitroText[FINAL], 40%
Foxi4

Postby cilein » April 1st, 2011, 7:38 pm

Good shizzle, not too bright as a color, too similar a color between the green of the green man bg and the sprites just, the tech and the graphics are pretty sweet as of now too ;)
cilein

Postby Foxi4 » April 1st, 2011, 8:03 pm

Cilein wrote:Good shizzle, not too bright as a color, too similar a color between the green of the green man bg and the sprites just, the tech and the graphics are pretty sweet as of now too ;)

Hehe, I wanted it to have a green-black, green-red "monochrome" feel of a limited color scheme, but you're right, these need to be tweaked :)
Current Projects:

Foxi4

Postby Foxi4 » April 3rd, 2011, 3:11 pm

Project reached Alpha v.05

Changelog:

- The shooting animation now follows stylus movement
- Moving diagonally up now works normally
- Camera no longer goes ape in Running Mode
- The targeting cross-hair can no longer leave the area currently displayed
- Some inventory bug-fixes
- Icon changed

No GFX have been changed so far, I was too lazy to edit those ;)

EDIT: Also adding an early alpha of the Combat Mode system, also known as "Beat the Midget" TechDemo (No pun intended :lol: ).

It shows how the Weapon Range will affect combat. Still didn't add the Hit Chance modifier, but that'll come with time.
Attachments
FalloutDS-TD Alpha v0.5.nds
(827.56 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
FalloutDS-Beat The Midget Alpha v0.5 rev.2.nds
(828.56 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Current Projects:

Foxi4

Postby thommoboy » April 4th, 2011, 1:17 am

can you make a menu? and does anyone have a tutorial on making menu's and adding sound?
thommoboy

Postby cilein » April 4th, 2011, 10:20 am

Wrong place to post a request, this thread is about this game project only.

As for a menu for it or any WIP - it's not really something critically important in the initial stages of a game engine. A menu is pretty much a background and some objects or areas to touch that swop the "Room" you are playing in, search and experiment with that and see what you can come up with ;)
cilein

Postby Foxi4 » April 10th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Current Projects:

Foxi4

Postby cilein » April 10th, 2011, 11:40 pm

A fan or did you make it?
cilein

Postby Foxi4 » April 10th, 2011, 11:43 pm

The logo is an edited Fallout 2 logo, the screens come from various editions of the techdemo to show different "stuff".

I made it. ;P
Current Projects:

Foxi4

Postby thommoboy » August 18th, 2011, 4:23 am

can i grab the code of the player moving for my saw game?
thommoboy

Return to Work In Progress