The Living Dead

Show us what you're making.

The Living Dead

Postby Nobody » April 30th, 2011, 1:35 am

The controls are simple. It's the basic DS shooter system. Directional buttons or a,b,x, and y to move. L or R to shoot. Tap the Right character to reload, and touch the left character to use your knife. for the the display on the top screen. The top number is your cash, the second is wave number, and the bottom is just the number of zombies spawned during round (means nothing to you, but something i added for my use to see what wasn't working right). on the bottom screen is the tops number is your clip number, the second is your reserves, and the bottom is your health.

The game includes a tutorial, badges, credits, and a stage. You have health packs, repair kits, frag grenades, m9, desert eagle, ak-47, mac-11, spas-12, dragunov, and rpg-7.

There are only three waves, and you can't shoot past the regular point of the Screen. Could someone help me fix this? I'll post the dsgm.

EDIT: I just remembered I forgot to add the custom actions so people could look at the DSGM. They are on the forum, but here you go.

Update 2: V.1.4
CHANGES AND FIXES-
Many bug fixes. Changes to currency system and weapon system. Prices have changed, max cash is now 30,000 to avoid some glitching. Weapon balancing was done by altering fire rates, bullet speeds, and ammo amounts.
NEW THINGS-
Background music has been added to menus. There are 5 more rounds total to 15 rounds of zombie horror (good luck making it past round 9, there's a badge for you if you do ;). Pistols shooting improvements. You can now tap the fire button repeatedly to fire pistols instead of using the slower auto fire. 4 new weapons added, RPG-7 (replaces grenades). Added Ak-47, SPAS-12, and Dragunov (the more of the zombie the bullet hits, the more damage it does).

WARNING: RPG-7 has a huge blast range; get as far away from enemies as you can go before launching because it has a bigger and higher concentrated blast range than the frag grenade. Also, take it easy on the MAC-11 trig. When the bullets fired from it start getting really glitchy then stop firing for a few frames. The MAC-11 is the buggiest weapon in the game so keep that in mind. If the sprites crash in the room, try purchasing a new weapon which will force a delete of the old glitchy weapon. Also the other zombie map is not supported.

Thank you for your time, and enjoy the post! :)
Attachments
shooter attempt.nds
V.1.0 (Oldest Version)
(350.06 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
Random.action
Random Action
(130 Bytes) Downloaded 265 times
If Object in Zone.action
If Object in Zone action
(225 Bytes) Downloaded 260 times
The Living Dead.nds
V.1.2 (Older Version)
(487.06 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
If Stylus Pressed In Zone.action
If stylus pressed in zone action
(156 Bytes) Downloaded 278 times
If Stylus.action
If Stylus
(96 Bytes) Downloaded 252 times
The Living Dead.nds
V.1.3 (Old Version)
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 371 times
The Living Dead.nds
v.1.4 (Newest Version)
(1.77 MiB) Downloaded 301 times
Last edited by Nobody on April 2nd, 2012, 11:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Feel free to ask me for help. I'm on the forum a lot.

Recent Projects:
Retro Ducks: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3533 (latest)
The Living Dead 2: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3483
Crafters DS (Minecraft 2D Clone!) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082
Nobody

Re: The Living Dead

Postby Nobody » May 3rd, 2011, 10:46 pm

Does anyone know how to fix this, or if this is just a file glitch or something? And if not, then does someone know a better way to shoot an object toward another?

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Foxi4 » May 3rd, 2011, 11:50 pm

Depends. It's a matter of imagination, really. I'd divide the gameworld into 4 possible facing directions. If you're looking left, only enemies that are to the left would be targeted etc. Then you could target the "closest enemy" using PA_Distance or PA_TrueDistance.

I personally added a crosshair controlled by the stylus in a project similar to this. Your bottom screen is empty, so you can use that.

A bullet's starting position would be the [X] and [Y] of your character and it's trajectory would be counted from PA_Sin and PA_Cos between it and the crosshair. Then, there's 0 chance of "failure".
Current Projects:

FalloutDS: Postponed until proper libraries are created, 10%
Foxi_Lib: A completely revised version of NitroSprites[FINAL], NitroBackgrounds and NitroText[FINAL], 40%
Foxi4

Postby Nobody » May 3rd, 2011, 11:57 pm

Foxi4 wrote:A bullet's starting position would be the [X] and [Y] of your character and it's trajectory would be counted from PA_Sin and PA_Cos between it and the crosshair. Then, there's 0 chance of "failure".

I did set it up like that but it doesn't work right, could you look at it or something, because i can't tell what went wrong. I really want to get past this too because this could be my best project ever

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Foxi4 » May 4th, 2011, 12:04 am

Does this help a bit? I'll look into the code tomorrow, right now I'm knackered, it's 1am here.
Current Projects:

Foxi_Lib: A completely revised version of NitroSprites[FINAL], NitroBackgrounds and NitroText[FINAL], 40%
Foxi4

Postby Nobody » May 4th, 2011, 12:19 am

I see what your saying, and i'll try to interpret this cluttered drawing. I think might know a few more things to try first though, and if i figure out something then i'll be sure to notify you.

EDIT: i tried changing the shooting system to use shooting strait forward and was having the same problem of the sprite not creating and disappearing, which means that the problem isn't in the way i shoot, but in the system of shooting. this means i'm one step closer to finding out what's wrong with my game.

2nd EDIT: Nevermind, i saw the problem with the file. I had the bullet sprite still in the early stage to where it deleted of the screen if it went passed the normal screen borders which is why i couldn't shoot. I just need to update the code a little bit and the game should be working like new again :grin: . I feel some stupid now knowing that it was such a stupid mistake. :oops:

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Nobody » May 5th, 2011, 1:28 am

Ok, new post time. I fixed the file so you can shoot past the original DS screen, but i'm having a lot of sprite issues. Sprites are messing up and looking all weird and stuff. Could someone help me fix this?
Attachments
shooter attempt.dsgm
The Living Dead V.1.1
(23.83 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Foxi4 » May 6th, 2011, 11:21 pm

Currently looking throught your project, I have some hints.

1. I see what you're trying to achieve with the combat system, but you're doing it a bit wrong. What you'd want to do is adding the RoomData.TopX and RoomData.TopY to the reticle [X] and [Y], so that it is always within the borders of a given camera. Right now it occasionally gets stuck.

2. The soldier spritesheet can be simplified. You don't need separate walking animations for walking left and walking right - use the Flip Vertically action to flip the sprite instead.

3. I'm not entirely sure what Cursorloc and Playerloc arrays are supposed to do. The cursor location can always be made proper by using [X] = Stylus.X+RoomData.TopX and [Y] = Stylus.Y+RoomData.TopY, the array is unnecessary and causes glitches. As far as player location is concerned, you already have the [X], [Y] of the object, you can reffer to it. I'd also remove the direction variable, as it serves no greater purpose, you can check the direction you're facing from the object's velocity ([VX] and [VY]).

EDIT: The glitches may be caused by the program trying to animate the sprite with two different starting and ending sequences. When you press two buttons simultanously, the program animates it twice at the same time, causing the sprite to glitch. You have to lock animation out using a bool. True for already animating, false for not animating. New animation will kick in by making the bool False, thus stalling the previous one, then turning it to true by the new button input and starting a new animation. That'll fix your problem surely.

Not only that - button releases also pause animations mid-way through. That shouldn't happen. The bool will fix it - if Animating will be equal to False, Stop Animating will kick in. At least that's the idea.

If you'll need any further assistance with the combat system or animating, I can send you some excerpts of FalloutDS code - it seems to be the effect you're trying to achieve.
Last edited by Foxi4 on May 7th, 2011, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects:

Foxi4

Postby Nobody » May 6th, 2011, 11:55 pm

The curosrloc and playerloc are unnecessary now that i think about it. Since i already know the cursor and player ID, i can use the get object position actions. This would be more efficient and i haven't thought about it till now. Anyways, I used the arrays so i could access the locations of the objects from other objects. As for the direction, i'm not using velocity for movement at the moment, and changing it wouldn't have much purpose since i already have the variable. It shouldn't cause too much of a problem anyways, and switching wouldn't save that much memory, but i'll think about it later, epically if it might help the glitching. As for flip i've used it in other games, but since i used an old sprite a made as a template i just left it. So i'll try the locking out thing and see if that helps. Thanks for the feedback.

As of now i don't need the code for your game, i want to try it myself first.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Foxi4 » May 7th, 2011, 12:01 am

As far as I remember, you can still access the Velocity function. It's counted from the change of the objects position (X from previous frame in accordance to X in the next frame), but I may be wrong here. Good luck and report on your findings. ;)
Current Projects:

Foxi4

Postby Nobody » May 7th, 2011, 1:19 am

Ok i implemented all of the changes except using velocity and flip and it seems as all the glitches have disappeared and now works perfect! Thanks foxi, now i can finally get back to the game and excel. Now the sprite glitches are gone, and my game is more efficient. I know who to call next time if i have problems.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Foxi4 » May 7th, 2011, 3:54 am

You're welcome, I'm always willing to help.

The game looks interesting, can't wait to see what sprouts from this project.
Current Projects:

Foxi4

Postby Nobody » May 7th, 2011, 7:25 pm

I plan to make a couple of more maps after i get the current one working all right. Each new map i make I'm hoping to add new things, or bring a new theme to it that makes the challenge easier, harder, or just different so you don't feel like the same repeating stuff. I plan on basing it off of call of duty, but am only using it as lift of the ground, once i get the basic structure up i'm going to make mine unique. Also i'm going to try and make it so you can unlock rooms during a game and purchase survivors as support characters that walk around and help you with their skills or abilities. I figure this will hopefully help accommodate the fact that i probably will never get to the point to install multilayer, that way you still get the team action.

But one thing i really want to do because i thought it would be really cool is to add store option into the game. You earn points based on your performance which can be used to unlock more levels, weapons and stuff, more content, and extras. I would also hope to expand this idea into were every time i make a game it will include this network type store (Don't think i'll be able to make it online, so it might just be a different game itself that alters the save files). That way you can earn points in one game, and spend them in another.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Foxi4 » May 7th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Why not just add the store as a different room? Sounds like you want to overcomplicate it.
Current Projects:

Foxi4

Postby Nobody » May 7th, 2011, 8:10 pm

don't know. I thought of maybe making a separate game encase if i did expand it to a bunch of games, i could see everything at once all in one place.

EDIT 2: Never mind what was previously posted before, i fixed everything

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Nobody » May 11th, 2011, 12:00 am

Hello guys, I'm back. I have some good progress on the game, but i want to repost after I have enough stuff to establish a complete gameplay. I'm like about 3/4 finished of everything i need for the next update. My only question now is does anyone know how to make some code so the zombies don't overlap? I did it so the player and the zombie won't but i couldn't do it for two zombie's. Any suggestions?

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Nobody » May 18th, 2011, 12:51 am

Major update has now been posted on the original post. It's not a full game, but it is now out of demo engine stage, and now into a small cruddy game stage. Enjoy and let me know what you think of it.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Bobbyloujo » May 18th, 2011, 1:43 am

Looking good.
Seriously never posting again, lawlz.
jk
Bobbyloujo

Postby chasegoree » May 18th, 2011, 11:59 pm

awesome game :mrgreen:
Rockleeace is moi. Moi is n00b programmer. I like saying moi.
┏━━━┓
┃┏━━┛
┃┗━━┳━━┳┳━━┓
┃┏━━┫┏┓┣┫┏━┛
┃┗━━┫┗┛┃┃┗━┓
┗━━━┫┏━┻┻━━┛

Working on these titles
Gun Game viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2053
Teen Titans Beast Boys Adventure viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2105
Kingdom hearts pro skater viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2124
The Undead 4-Nazi Zombies viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2866
chasegoree

Postby Nobody » May 19th, 2011, 1:31 am

Thanks for the feedback. Just wondering what specifically is it that you like about it, that way i can keep improving.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Next

Return to Work In Progress