Mario Craft (The Mario Minecraft)

If you created something quickly in DSGM 'just for fun', post it here. Please post the .DSGM project too.

Mario Craft (The Mario Minecraft)

Postby Nobody » June 20th, 2011, 4:22 am

Got bored on DSGM and wanted to do something different. People thought when i made Blockscape (didn't get anywhere with it) that it was a minecraft clone, so i got to thinking. I didn't feel like making a game that took a lot of effort on my part to create fun levels to play on, so this was an obvious choice. It's not really the type of game i would play, but people love the minecraft type stuff that helps pass time and that is fun to play around with, so what the heck.

It's like your basic minecraft game; you build and sculpt the very world you play in!The game plays a little differently than minecraft. The first difference is that it is retro mario style. Another, is it's 2D not 3D (sorry, if i could make a 3D game i would). Last, there aren't all of those tools, modes, blocks, or huge loading maps. I will try to do my best possibly in the future to add more to the game. The game plays like this. You character is mario and you get to design mushroom kingdom however you please.

CONTROLS:
It works in a 2D platformer fashion (sorry, no bitshifting yet. I need to work on it) with the minecraft tap features plus occasional button pressing. Press left and right to move and A to jump. Hold X to run. When on a cloud hold down to fall three the cloud. Hit L or R to swap the screens to switch between the menu options and the action screen. Tap the various tools on the top screen to switch from a block creator, to block destroyer, to block mover. To add a block first switch the screen and select the add tool and tap a block under block to choose a block (by default you start out using the create tool with the brown block). To delete, choose the remove tool and hold down on the screen and drag over a block or object to delete it like an actual eraser (you can delete everything but mario). To move a block tap the move tool and tap a block to move, then drag the stylus to the new position. Last but not least tap the Grid button to toggle on and off the grid lines on the creation screen.

NOTE:
You are limited to the amount of block you can add in the room. This shouldn't be too bad of a problem anyways due to the fact of 128 instances on a screen at a time will crowd the place up. I have coded the game so you can't get stuck in between 1 box squares (above head or left and fight trapping). If you fall you'll be dropped off from the sky (all the fun of falling!). You can jump and run into block for they are solid. Clouds on the other hand are both tangible and intangible. You can run and jump through them and then land on them. Enemies do hurt you if you don't jump on them. They also run around and interact. They also have gravity and movement. If they fall, they will fall, and if they hit something (you, a block, or border, does not include crashing into another goomba) they will turn and go in the other direction. Think of them as your own goomba pets. You can also jump on them to change how the interact. Unlimited maximum height!

UPDATE: The last update could have been good but had a couple of errors. Several bug fixes. No jumpy y camera movement, it now moves smoothly when you reach a certain height. Offset blocks on both axis have been fixed now for perfect placement. After dieing and then falling to the ground and getting stuck has been fixed. Moving objects past 256x192 has also been fixed. Room now has no height limit for no reason. All fixes made help enhance other areas as well. Keep the feedback coming and i can fix these things again and add more stuff!

Advertisement:
Mario Craft. Relive your Mario experience, your way!

Another update has been made. It is because of all of you that make this game possible. This game is not for me, but entirely for you guys. This game was made for you guys so keep the feedback coming to get more of what you want and make this the most downloaded and liked game on the DSGM forum!
Attachments
Mario Craft.nds
V.1.0 (Oldest Version)
(339.06 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
Mario Craft.nds
V.1.1 (Old Version)
(391.56 KiB) Downloaded 659 times
Mario Craft.nds
v.1.2 (Older Version)
(405.56 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
Mario Craft.nds
v.1.3 (Latest Version)
(405.56 KiB) Downloaded 1236 times
Mario Craft.nds
ONLY DOWNLOADABLE VERSION
(405.56 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Last edited by Nobody on June 7th, 2013, 10:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Feel free to ask me for help. I'm on the forum a lot.

Recent Projects:
Retro Ducks: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3533 (latest)
The Living Dead 2: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3483
Crafters DS (Minecraft 2D Clone!) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082
Nobody

Re: Mario Craft (The Mario Minecraft)

Postby chasegoree » June 20th, 2011, 4:42 am

how did you make it create an object where you touch it? Also you should add more tiles like the pipe
Rockleeace is moi. Moi is n00b programmer. I like saying moi.
┏━━━┓
┃┏━━┛
┃┗━━┳━━┳┳━━┓
┃┏━━┫┏┓┣┫┏━┛
┃┗━━┫┗┛┃┃┗━┓
┗━━━┫┏━┻┻━━┛

Working on these titles
Gun Game viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2053
Teen Titans Beast Boys Adventure viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2105
Kingdom hearts pro skater viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2124
The Undead 4-Nazi Zombies viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2866
chasegoree

Postby Nobody » June 20th, 2011, 5:06 am

The create where I tap was the hardest part really. It was an idea I thought of a long time ago and it took me forever to remember and revise it to actually work. the code probably took me a good 30 minutes foe that part. I'll show you the source code tomorrow, because I'm about to go to bed. As for the pipes I was thinking of adding, but at this point it would serve no point but decoration until I make the maps bigger and better. So I'll try adding more blocks later because that is the easy part. Also I updated the control reference because I forgot to mention that you can hold down to fall through a cloud. As for your dogeball game I'll also try that tomorrow.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby superfisher87 » June 20th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Nobody this is really good game you created can't wait for the pipe,other enemies and ?block,coins.
superfisher87

Postby Nobody » June 20th, 2011, 5:07 pm

@superfisher87: Thank you. The next step to making it better and more like minecraft is a bigger world to play in. To accomplish this i would need a bigger room size. The only problem is that you can only have 128 per screen, which means if i make the maps bigger, i would need to find a way to load the separate blocks as you need them as you move around the map. This would mean i would have to save all the block in each little zone. So i would need to know how many blocks to load from that zone, which blocks to load, and where to load them. On top of that i would have to create another system to control if you're in one zone that it loads those block, and if your not in that zone, then they need to be deleted from the screen.

@chasegoree: What type of explanation do you want? Just the code, a brief explanation of whats what, or a detailed explanation to explain how I arrived to the function and how to adapt it and make future functions. I think detailed is more helpful because this is a valuable skill to learn. All the function is,is basic algebra and order of operations. I could make a tutorial how to do it if you want and maybe make a simple action that requires 4 inputs if you want. Just tell me how you want me to format how i did it.

EDIT: Hey guys, you'll never believe it. Someone has made a sprite sheet of all the levels from super mario brothers. Would you guys like for me to try putting in the first level and see what I can do from there?

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby chasegoree » June 21st, 2011, 4:28 am

I would like to add this into my zombie shooter, and dodge ball ds, so that if you touched the screen it would create a bullet and the bullet would go towards where you touched it.
┏━━━┓
┃┏━━┛
┃┗━━┳━━┳┳━━┓
┃┏━━┫┏┓┣┫┏━┛
┃┗━━┫┗┛┃┃┗━┓
┗━━━┫┏━┻┻━━┛

Working on these titles
chasegoree

Postby Nobody » June 21st, 2011, 6:59 pm

chasegoree wrote:I would like to add this into my zombie shooter, and dodge ball ds, so that if you touched the screen it would create a bullet and the bullet would go towards where you touched it.

That's different code. I have that code because I also made a zombie shooter. The code i'm about to give you goes for the x and y coordinate, so if you want it to always hit it's mark, adjust the code so that it's midpoint crosses the coordinate and not the X and Y of the object. The current example i have I copied from my shooter, which gets the position of the cursor as the target position, so if you don't want to use an object as a reference point then take out the get x and y stuff for an object and replace it with the stylus position.

Bullet array that stores the target position (array name is "bulletmove") Put this in the bullet's create event:
Code: Select all
Set Variable bulletmove[[Me]] to PA_GetAngle([X],[Y],Instances[Get_Single_ID(cursor)].X+8,Instances[Get_Single_ID(cursor)].Y+8)

Move Code. Put this in the "set object position" action in the bullet's step event:
Code: Select all
[X] = [X] + ((PA_Cos(bulletmove[[Me]])>>4)/3)
[Y] = [Y] - ((PA_Sin(bulletmove[[Me]])>>4)/3)

And that should do the trick. ^

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby chasegoree » June 22nd, 2011, 7:20 pm

My computer broke a couple of days ago so i lost all my data and stuff so I cant really work my games anymore :(.
┏━━━┓
┃┏━━┛
┃┗━━┳━━┳┳━━┓
┃┏━━┫┏┓┣┫┏━┛
┃┗━━┫┗┛┃┃┗━┓
┗━━━┫┏━┻┻━━┛

Working on these titles
chasegoree

Postby Nobody » June 24th, 2011, 12:11 am

That sucks, surely you had it back up on the forum somewhere? That's. Good way to back up projects. Post it in a topic or put it on a message and save it to he drafts

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Foxi4 » June 24th, 2011, 12:16 am

Problem #1

The tool selector (the hand) doesn't move at all.

Problem #2

You can place bricks even when there's already a brick placed in that specific spot.

Problem #3

You can place a brick on yourself sometimes.

Fix those and you're good to go. ;)
Current Projects:

FalloutDS: Postponed until proper libraries are created, 10%
Foxi_Lib: A completely revised version of NitroSprites[FINAL], NitroBackgrounds and NitroText[FINAL], 40%
Foxi4

Postby Nobody » June 24th, 2011, 12:35 am

1. For the tool selector hand not moving, what are you talking about
2-3. The is because it's the first make basically Still like the engine. It has nothin to store blocks and positions in it to refer to.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Foxi4 » June 24th, 2011, 12:48 am

I see, I see.

Well, you could (theoretically) get rid of the instances limit fairly easily by the way. You can store blocks positions in an Array and display as objects only the ones that are currently in your field of view.
Current Projects:

FalloutDS: Postponed until proper libraries are created, 10%
Foxi_Lib: A completely revised version of NitroSprites[FINAL], NitroBackgrounds and NitroText[FINAL], 40%
Foxi4

Postby Nobody » June 24th, 2011, 7:59 pm

yes, i was going to do that, but i haven't gotten that far into the project yet. Then i thought about it and ran into the fact i would have to make some functions, a couple of arrays, and another object to keep track of the other blocks. One function for storing the object position, one for storing which object, and an object that will have to know which blocks go where. Therefore the object would have to have a predefined number of block positions it knows to store (i think there is code to get around this, but i don't know any code). Then on top of that i would have to make one or two arrays to store the position, one to store the block type, and one to determine if the block is already been plotted.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Gaboros » June 25th, 2011, 3:02 pm

Hello!

Can you send me to source code please. I think I could learn a lot from there. I is the only thing why I want to use it. Thank you in advance. :)
Last edited by Gaboros on June 26th, 2011, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaboros

Postby Nobody » June 26th, 2011, 2:53 pm

Gaboros wrote:Hello!

Can you send me to source code please. I think I could learn a lot from there. I is the only thing why I want to use it. Thank you in advance. :)

My email: gaboros92@gmail.com

I'll send you the DSGM through the forum messages. I probably won't send it today though because it is in the middle of a small update, so I'll finish the next update first that way I can explain the differences in the update to everyone at once, also this will give me some time to add some comments in there to help you out. How much do you know about DSGM and coding so I know how many comments I need.

NOTE: the small update won't be anything major. Just some more blocks, new character, and maybe an attribute block. The next update after that will include a level or more from the original Mario Bros game. Would you guys like to make those levels free build or keep it like the actual Mario gameplay or maybe both?

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Nobody » June 27th, 2011, 2:15 am

The not so big update has been posted now. It's nothing big. I just added a few more objects to use in the room and that was pretty much it. Basically it was an expansion pack update. Sorry though, i did not add pipes like everyone wanted. I'll try and do that next time maybe

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Mint » June 28th, 2011, 4:01 am

You're popular for naming yourself nobody. It's a cool name, though. :)
I have now lost track of the DSGM source code!
Mint

Postby Nobody » June 28th, 2011, 4:15 pm

EpicThings wrote:You're popular for naming yourself nobody. It's a cool name, though. :)

Why thank you. I like yours too. I can see it now, "Nobody and EpicThings presents, Nothing Epic"

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Mint » June 28th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Nothing Epic.Yeah, make a game that doesn't work, and WHAALAA! NOTHING EPIC!
I have now lost track of the DSGM source code!
Mint

Postby Nobody » July 8th, 2011, 3:42 am

This topic has gotten a lot of views and downloads. Some people have really seemed to like this project, so i was thinking about maybe doing a little more with it. So if you guys want this project to continue then let me know and tell me what you want to see in it.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Next

Return to Just for Fun